Skin name: Perrurle
Language: Eastern Arrernte
Dreaming: Snake and rain
Date of birth: Sunday, 15 April 1962
From: Yamba Station Area
Marie Young is one of an extraordinarily talented group of siblings: brother Johnny is a bush toy maker, and sisters Camilla and Leonie are fine painters. All the Young siblings have been added to fine art collections, public and private in Australia and overseas.
Marie has been painting with Keringke since 1995. About her art Marie says:
“I like to use the desert colors, the orange and the ochre colors. I particularly like to use really bright colors on silks and ceramics. Sometimes I go out bush with my brother and I look at all those colors, the desert colors are bright and vibrant where we live.
I like to paint around a centre or I get lost in the pattern. I always start in the middle. Just like if I go out bush and I walk away from the camp, if I don’t keep looking back there, I would be lost.
I put down the big painted shapes first, and the bit in the middle and then I go from there. I use my own designs that have come to me from years of painting. I use my own color ideas to. Next I fill in the larger sections with motifs that I recognise, but that don’t have other meaning. Last thing is to look over the whole painting and to put all the really fine dots in, making the whole surface be together, like it looks in my country.
I like to paint neat and detailed work, it represents what I like in life. Before, people used to use match sticks to paint, but now we have these little bottles and brushes.”
- 1996 National Fringe 96, Inbarendi Fringe Gallery, Adelaide SA
- 1996 Alice Craft Acquisition, Araluen Art Centre, Alice Springs, NT
- 1996 Central Australian Aboriginal Art & Craft Exhibition, Araluen Art Centre, Alice Springs, NT
- 1996 National Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Art Award, Museum & Art Gallery of the Northern Territory, Darwin, NT
- 1996 Arm Load of Art Exhibition, Woods St Gallery, Darwin, NT
- 1996 Anwernekenhe Tyepetye – Telling Our Story, Rainbow Serpent Gallery, Sydney, NSW
- 1997 National Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Art Award, Museum & Art Gallery of the Northern Territory, Darwin, NT
- 1997 The Desert Mob Art Show, Araluen Arts Centre, Alice Springs, NT
- 1998 Designs of the Desert, Hogarth Galleries Aboriginal Arts Centre, Sydney NSW
- 1998 The Desert Mob Art Show, Araluen Arts Centre, Alice Springs, NT 2004 Desert Mob Show, Araluen Cultural Precinct, Alice Springs, NT
- 2004 True Blue, Framed Gallery, Darwin, NT
- 2005 Jungara Aboriginal Art Gallery, Cairns and Port Douglas, QLD
- 2005 Meeniyan Art Gallery, Victoria
- 2005 Tuggeranong Art Gallery, Canberra ACT
- 2005 Aboriginal and Tribal Art Gallery, Sydney NSW
- 2005 Desert Mob Show, Araluen Cultural Precinct, Alice Springs
- 2006 Jungara Aboriginal Art Gallery, Cairns, QLD
- 2006 Bundara Aboriginal Art Gallery, Port Douglas, QLD 2006 Meeniyan Art Gallery, Victoria
- 2006 Gallery Gondwana, Divas of the Desert, Alice Springs
- 1997 Painting commissioned for reproduction on designer rugs by Dreamweaver Concepts Pty. Ltd.