Skin name: Perrurle
Language: Eastern Arrernte
Dreaming: ulampe (rain dreaming)
Date of birth: Wednesday, 12 February 1969
From: Ntwerle (Phillipson's Bore)
Justin Hayes is a traditional owner for the land surrounding the Santa Teresa community. His family has always been involved in the arts, whether through music, sculpture or painting.
Justin has always been a very keen musician. His uncles and older brothers played a very big role in his musical developlment. Justin is a founding member and rhythm guitarist of the Ltyentye Apurte Band.
It was Justin who developed the “Bush Toys” for the enjoyment of the boys of the community to play stockmen and cowboys. These wire toys, motor cars, trucks and helicopters are now recognised as an art form in themselves and Justin has pieces in many national collections.
Always interested in drawing and sketching, much of the community has evidence of Justin’s early graffitti art. It was only in 2002 that Justin started to paint in the Keringke style, combining his fine, textured Keringke style with a more traditional realism when the mood takes him. Jusitn paints on canvas, paper, wooden furniture and ceramics. Since this time his work has been avidly collected, most selling to private collections and overseas buyers.
In 2010 he completed a major work 3×2.8m. This work holds 5 dreaming stories and was purchased by Keringke to add to its collection of important works.
Acrylic paint, Wire, fabric paint sculpture
Kwerrayle Purle Wirly Wirly Brothers Cultural Stories
- 2000 National Tour – “Bush Toys”
- 2000 National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art Award
- 2002 Alice Springs Craft Award
- 2002 Desert Mob Show, Araluen Centre for the Arts
- 2003 Marshall Arts, Adelaide
- 2004 Marshall Arts, Adelaide
- 2004 Desert Mob Show, Araluen Cultural Precinct, Alice Springs, NT
- 2005 Desert Mob Show, Araluen Cultural Precinct, Alice Springs, NT
- 2005 Jungara Aboriginal Art Gallery, Cairns, QLD
- 2005 Bundara Aboriginal Art Gallery, Port Douglas, QLD 2005 Meeniyan Art Gallery, Victoria
- 2005 Gallery Gondwana, Alice Springs
- 2006 Gallery Gondwana, Alice Springs
- 2006 Jungara Aboriginal Art Gallery, Cairns, QLD
- 2006 Bundara Aboriginal Art Gallery, Port Douglas, QLD
- 2007 The Best of The Best: Framed Gallery, Darwin
- 2007 Ochre Dot Gallery, Los Angeles, USA
- National Museum, Canberra
- Batchelor College, Comalie Collection Museum and Art Gallery, NT
- The Harland Collection – Bush Toy Powerhouse Museum, Sydney – Bush Toy Lindsay Fox Collection
- Keringke Arts Centre Collection, Araluen